Saturday, June 13, 2009

Why I'm frustrated with the "Reinvention" ad

GM is running an ad called "Reinvention." If you haven't seen it, here you go:



But I'm more than a little disappointed that my tax dollars are going into this promise. I don't think they can deliver.

This ad comes from an organization that JUST WENT BANKRUPT. The system they've been using doesn't work. They have more liabilities than assets.

There are millions of steps between where they are now and where they say they're going to be. GM has built a huge organization, an organization that has factories, equipment, unions, vendor relationships, big salaries and policies about policies. I don't believe that bankruptcy alone breaks all these constraints. Bankruptcy helps, but you've still got designers that think too narrow, vendors that seek profit margins, communicators that think they can win with TV ads and union employees that feel entitled to something after 30 years of devotion.

This video made me think of the practical challenge facing GM:


Gives you a better sense of the distance between here and the ad, doesn't it?

No comments: